Factorial is building the company's operating system. We started by automating human resources, but our goal is to allow companies to gather all their data in a single place to make better decisions. This unique and massive opportunity has accelerated with the digital transformation companies have been through due to Covid-19. The company is five years old, and we've recently raised 80M to keep expanding and building the best product in the market.
As an Engineer Manager / Director in the Developer Experience Infrastructure team, you will be responsible for hiring and coaching the engineers in order to achieve the team's goals: To increase the productivity of all the development teams by ensuring good practices are in place.
The Developer Experience Infrastructure team is new this quarter and will have only three engineers. Being a relatively small team means we are looking for humans who can take real-world problems and find creative solutions with technology. This means that we don't hire specific parts of the stack (we use Rails / React if that's important to you) since we don't want people to feel on a conveyor belt.
Ownership and accountability are our core values: We trust you and your team to decide what to work on and how to deliver it. We believe that the only way to get a fantastic product is to hire the best and fully empower them to make and execute their decisions. After interviewing hundreds of engineers, we've learned that the number #1 reason why people leave companies is that they are not trusted, and therefore they can't make an impact. We do whatever it takes to avoid that at Factorial with culture or failing that, through process.
Diversity is part of our culture, we have more than 25 countries in our teams and we are infused in an inclusive environment for all employees and candidates. Please feel free to apply with the way it suits you better! (blind resume, identity pronouns, cover letter, etc). We do not discriminate on any aspect, in fact; Factorial encourage everyone to join us!
Despite being a fast-growing startup, we promote a healthy work-life balance. We are a remote-first company, and we understand that work may not be your priority at all times. We expect people to manage their own time and ambitions, we all have good and bad moments, and work shouldn't feel like a burden.
- You have 5+ years of relevant experience in companies building web products (backend and frontend).
- You have managed people before and have experience guiding engineers into a successful career.
- You have participated actively in hiring processes, bringing top talent to the organization.
- You have real experience migrating big codebases with automated tools.
- You have set CI pipelines that ensure that most styling, linting, and security code reviews are automated.
- You have a data-driven approach to your job, setting up a metrics system to make informed decisions.
- Whenever you disagree with a peer, you engage in a Socratic exchange, prioritizing finding a solution over winning arguments.
What will work be like?
- You will start the onboarding with a buddy that will guide you through some non-critical tasks to get used to the codebase.
- After two weeks, you will get the first initiative that you will do pairing with a colleague.
- You will participate in weekly meetings with your team to discuss what to work on next and propose new ideas.
- You will participate in reviewing the RFCs your team produces, giving feedback, and proposing alternatives in order to achieve the team's goals.
- You will hire members of the team, ensuring that we bring talented and good-hearted humans.
- You will think of goals with your team members to plan a quarterly roadmap.
- You will engage in weekly 1:1s, focusing on the development of the members of the team and their well-being.
- You will engage with other engineering managers to coordinate initiatives that impact several teams.
What do we offer?
- 50.000€-65.000€ Salary (Manager-Director) + ESOP plan regardless of your location.
- Remote-first work environment, the team is distributed.
- 1.000€ of annual Learning and Development budget.
- A safe and diverse environment to grow and make an impact.